Council values individuals’ rights to privacy and is strongly committed to protecting those rights.
Council complies with its obligations pursuant to the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Act) and the Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) in relation to all personal information it collects.
Council’s obligations under the Act and Information Privacy Principles
- will only collect personal information that is necessary for its functions and activities and generally with an individual’s knowledge (there are circumstances where a third party provides information to Council, eg. a Maternal and Child Health centre may receive information from one parent about another parent or family member, or Council may receive a complaint about activities of a neighbour);
- will only use personal information provided for the primary purpose for which it was collected and related secondary purposes that could be reasonably expected or as otherwise permitted by law;
- will ensure personal information is protected from unauthorised access, improper use, disclosure or alteration, and unlawful or accidental destruction or loss (Council maintains secure systems for storing personal information and has security procedures in place to ensure the protection of personal information collected by Council);
- will not keep personal information on its systems for longer than is necessary (subject to the requirements of the Public Records Act 1973 or any other legal requirement).
Council does not:
- have access to credit card details used to make online payments (all online payments are handled by Council’s banking provider whose website is not managed or maintained by Council and the agreement with Council’s banking provider, in common with other Council contractors, imposes obligations in relation to confidentiality and privacy); or
Council collects certain automatically-recorded information from users of Council’s website. This includes a user’s: server address; domain name; date and time of visit; pages accessed; documents downloaded; previous site visited (where users have visited Council’s website via an external link); and type of browser used.